Saturday, August 9, 2008

Water Boy


Going to the pool with three non-swimmers is quite a challenge even for two adults.

I had always thought I would teach my babies to swim when they had that natural ability as newborns, but just never got around to it when Noah was born, since we did not have easy access to a pool. I vowed to do it with my second child, but my second turned out to be twins, and we came down with that post-twins housebound syndrome, where you begin to think its just easier to stay home. That "stay in your house and nest" instinct lasts SO much longer with twins than it does with singletons, and you can find at age two you have done very little in the outside world and must throw off those self-imposed shackles.

So, in order to get to the local pool more often, I need Noah to swim safely on his own. He did well last summer with a private instructor that his Mima got for him for a couple lessons. Whenever Michael or I suggested he try to float or blow bubbles though, he would offer up a cheerful, "no, thank you!" Its amazing what they will do for a stranger that they won't do for you.

So, while we are between school years, I enrolled him in a swim class. He spent the morning of the first day in tears begging not to go, but as is usually the case with these things, he couldn't wait to get back to his second lesson. We are halfway through a series of 8 classes before he moves on to the next level, but our trip to Yosemite might make us have to wait for another time to continue.

Until then, I have fantasies of laying on a poolside chaise lounge reading a good book, paying little attention to my three boys who are happily playing Marco Polo and seeing who can make the biggest splash when they jump in.

Yeah, that's gonna be nice.
*********
Oh, by the way... if you talk Noah, don't tell him you saw these pictures on my blog. He wants to surprise you in person with his mad skillz!

5 comments:

Snowbird said...

Way to go Noah. Tell him it will be a very long time before I will get to see him swim so you told me.

MariBy said...

Swimming is such a good skill to have!

But Noah won't hear that from me! ;)

Shama-Lama Mama said...

I told Noah I set this blog post so only people FAR FAR AWAY can see it! ;^)

Snowbird said...

Oh Mommy, if he only knew. LOL

gpc said...

I think Noah is a superstar! Yay Noah!