Friday, April 4, 2008

My Readers Are Revolting!

Wait, that didn’t come out quite right.

What I meant to say was that my readers are begging for me to start getting back into the swing of blogging again after my foray to paradise and my trip through moving-hell. Now that I am somewhere I can call home again, maybe I should.

On Tuesday, I took the twins in to a clinic for a speech evaluation, to see if they really were behind schedule with their language. In recent months, I have run into three kids who were almost exactly the same age as the twins and were speaking in sentences, as well as clearly having a much higher level of comprehension of what their parents were saying than my boys do.

We went into a little playroom with them and the woman played with them, asked them to do a couple things, showed them pictures, asking them to point at things, asking them what things are called, and then she tallied up their scores.

As expected, Ethan scored higher than Luka. They are both on the bell-curve of what is considered normal. They are way down at the bottom end of it, but still on it. When it comes to speaking, Luka is off the chart, but only slightly, but his comprehension score averaged him back up onto the very edge of the curve, so both are considered “normal”. No therapy is recommended.

She did give me some tips on how to help them along some more. Mostly stuff I am already doing, but good reminders.

Luka has clearly become more interested in being understood in the last three weeks and has finally started attempting to say words he didn't already know. He mostly won’t use a word unless he has mastered it, so he doesn’t babble at all. He has just started pointing at some things and attempting to name them, although not often.

Ethan is becoming extremely chatty but you can only follow a couple words of it. And its all in the highest-pitched voice you can imagine.

Too funny.

In other news, I think we are actually getting our main (big!) computer set up tomorrow. So, maybe PHOTOS will come soon after! I am still working on the laptop, which has been another reason for unpacking instead of hanging out in the office, writing blog posts.

It’s so dang hard to type on a laptop with fingernails!! THEN, I will be able to download all those photos from Hawaii into my Lightroom program and see what I have (gosh, I hope it’s worth the wait!!) I hope the internets are working well enough for us to get it all up and running this weekend.

We have had a crazy amount of trouble with our appliances and our utilities since we moved in. It’s like the freakin’ twilight zone around here with everything that is working incorrectly!

But that is for another post. More soon.



AlaskaTeacher said...

My twin brothers talked late. The doctors told my mom it was mainly because they could understand each other. Communicating with everybody else was not as high of a priority. Once school started, they had no trouble at all.

Snowbird said...

Yay, thank you for letting us know you are alive and can still type! :-) Just kidding. You know I love you.

I'm glad to hear that the boys are "normal". It sounds like they are finally taking off with the communication skills though. Maybe they just needed a nudge from the therapist to get them going.

Anyway, looking forward to the pictures but thanks for filling us in a bit on your life.

We Loooovvvveeee You!!

Jessica said...


I am so glad that things are finally settling down. I know how much it took to move myself, I can't even imagine trying to do that with three yung'uns!

Hey, I don't know if you know I have been working with essential oils and I wanted to tell you about this amazing combination of oils, Cedarwood and Vetiver, that has been working like a charm for folks I have been using it with. It works for settling kids (and adults!) down to focus, like if they have ADD or ADHD, it helps with studying and I bet it would work like magic for the twins to help them with their speech.

Lemme know if you want to know more about it. I have a friend who has a 7 year old daughter who was starting to show signs of ADHD and the teacher was starting to get involved. The first week she used the oils, she called me and told me that it was a miracle! Her daughter sat down by herself at night to do her homework and sat there until she was finished, without a peep!

Too bad I didn't know about that 10years ago, I could have saved myself some major self-hair-pulling with my wild child Dakota.

big hugs to everyone,