Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mama Says: GIFT



This post is in response to the theme of the week, over at Mama Says Om, a collective blog I enjoy reading and hope to participate in occasionally. Each week they pick a theme and ask Mamas who "blog" to explore that theme in writing, art, photography, or whatever medium moves them. This week's theme is "GIFT".


***************



When I read that this week’s theme was GIFT, of course the first place my mind went to was my children. They are each of gift to me, to my fulfillment. I sat staring at my blog, trying to figure out what to write, and which picture to use, and right there in front of me, (finally hitting me like a hammer) was one of my favorite pictures of Noah, which I had used in my blog header.

This was taken on Easter of this year. Noah is always bringing me flowers. I have had to teach him the difference between flowers he can pick and those he shouldn’t (because people planted them so that THEY could look at them). So because I said it was ALWAYS allowed, his flower of choice is usually the dandelion!

I know many people look at them as weeds, but I have always loved a big green lawn speckled with yellow flowers! And I love Noah’s heartfelt, emotional, “I love you, Mommy” every time he gives me one and leans his head on my hip, hugging my leg.

I almost cried a couple weeks ago when Ethan came over to me with a proud look and a closed fist. He is always handing me little twigs, pieces of lint, dirt. He opened my hand, and placed in it a squashed little bundle of three or four little clover flowers. And the look on his face clearly said, also, “I love you, Mommy.”

I nearly tackled his little self with hugs and kisses.



UPDATE: THIS PHOTO WAS CHOSEN TO BE THE SUNDAY PHOTO FEATURE OVER AT "MAMA SAYS OM". YAY!! I REALLY DO LOVE THIS PICTURE. MY FAVORITE OF NOAH IN THE LAST YEAR.

4 comments:

lemony said...

That's a great photo!

Anonymous said...

I love this photo. As mom to 4 boys, I identify with your post. Give me dandelions from my boys over roses any day.

Shannon said...

that is a great photo, how could one not appreciate that kid! a Gift indeed.

Shana said...

What a great picture. I to love the gift of dandelions. My boys have shown me the beauty in what most people call weeds, and so many other thing in life. KIDS ROCK!!!