Wednesday, July 25, 2007

NOT an Urban Legend...

I was wandering around the blog world the other day, going from one link to another, when I found someone who mentioned this awful thing that happened to the son of her friend. I clicked over to the link.

It was the story of a family that went to the beach and they noticed that one of their sons (one of a pair of twins), who was there just a second ago, was now missing. Looking around, he was nowhere to be seen within the distance he could have wandered in just a few seconds.

His parents instantly thought a wave must have come up and snatched him (one hadn't). After a couple minutes the nearby lifeguard wanted to just fill out a missing child report. The father splashed around in the waves trying to spot their small boy. Other beach-goers pitched in to help look.

The story ends happily, but with the family very shaken. There is a lesson to be learned here if you ever go to the beach. This kind of thing is very unusual but it does happen. And I just wanted to give you a heads-up.

The writer of the blog has allowed anyone who wanted to link to her story to do so, so please go read it here, especially if you ever take your kids to the beach.

2 comments:

Snowbird said...

Wow, that is really scary. I just kept thinking of our trip to the beach and thinking that it could have just as easy been one of our kids. I listed the link to her story on the Best of Sanibel Captiva message board. I can't tell you how many times I've seen holes on our beaches.

Shama-Lama Mama said...

I know, it wouldn't have even OCCURED to me to look in the sand! Digging holes is one of the most fun things for kids to do at beaches, but now I am going to keep a sharp eye out when they do.